So, you’ve decided it was time to upgrade your iPhone, iPad or iPod to a different device. The question is what do you do with your old one? That is where Trade4Cash.com is here to help.
Trading in your device for an extra bit of spending money is easy. However, there are some things that need to be done first to prep your device for trade in. This series of articles will help you get your device ready for trade in, including cleaning it, making sure its functional and how to reset it in order to protect your privacy. Once you’ve gone through each of the steps listed, you’re ready to trade in your device, getting the most money possible!
Backing up your device
There are a variety of ways to back up your iPad. You can choose a few options by utilizing iTunes, iCloud, or 3rd party software. We will cover both iTunes and iCloud, since they are supported by Apple and are very simple to use.
The use of iCloud is only available to those who are running iOS5 and above. First we will have to check if you are currently running version 5 of iOS or higher. To perform this check go to setting>general>about and look under version.
If is is 5 or higher you have iCloud support enabled on your device. Backing up to iCloud:
- Return to the Home screen by pressing the ‘Home’ button
- Open the iPad settings
- Now select iCloud provided at the left hand menu in the settings menu
- Now to automatically back up your iPad using the iCloud, turn ON the ‘Back Up to iCloud’ switch
- Now select the ‘Back Up Now’ button provided at the bottom of the screen to automatically back up your iPad
Using iTunes to back up your iPad is the most common method of backing up. If you have any other iOS devices such as and iPhone or iPod Touch the method is very similar. Note: If you use iCloud to currently back up you will have to disable it in order to back up with iTunes. Backing up with iTunes:
- First make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed and running before attempting to update
- Click sync with iTunes
- Right-click (or Control-click) the iOS device in iTunes under Devices and choose Back Up
- To back up purchased content form your iPad: Remember that with iTunes may not back up your purchased apps and media files, those are stored in your iTunes library. Follow these simple steps to back up your purchased content.
- Connect your iPad to your computer
- Sync with iTunes
- A dialog box may appear asking you to transfer purchases, click transfer purchases
- If dialog box does not appear, right click on your iPad’s name on the left and select “transfer purchases”
Locating your back up:
iTunes places the back up files in the following places depending on your PC/OS
Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
Windows Vista: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\